Care Homes - Elderly Home Care from Visioncall
Visioncall understands the needs of older people living in care homes are different from those of other older people. The contribution that can be made by professional, motivated eye care specialists during an elderly home care eye test visit to the quality of life, well-being and dignity of residents (and to the more efficient running of the homes) is exceptional.
- People in care homes are at increased risk of falls and may be at risk of having their eyesight problems overlooked
- 60% of elderly home care residents will fall at least once a year, half of them repeatedly
- 14,000 people die each year in the UK as a result of osteoporotic hip fracture
- Studies have shown that the incidence of falls can be reduced by up to 14% when the treatment of visual impairment and eyesight problems are planned for
- NICE guidelines state that all older people undergoing falls assessment should be screened for visual impairment and have regular sight tests by an optometrist to identify any eyesight problems.
When included within the care home’s overall provision, the Visioncall domiciliary visits allow our optometrists to:
- Communicate to staff the importance of wearing the correct glasses
- Establish the best course of action for individual residents
- Advise nursing staff on ophthalmic medical issues
- Advise on fall prevention measures.
Improved sight enhances older people’s perception of the world around them, helps their confidence and boosts their ability to interact.
Book Your Free Care Home Visit Now